Hack SMC an opportunity to create solutions to help improve our communities throughout San Mateo County.
- All participants in attendance are eligible to win door prizes
- Winners are required to pay taxes on prize money
- Participants must be a resident of the United States, have a United States tax identification number, or have citizenship in a country that has a valid tax agreement with the United States
- Entries can be a design, clickable prototype, video of an app on a simulator, or a functioning application
- Apps should be submitted as links using the Hack-SMC Devpost page
- Pitches for entries can be supported by a video or slide deck. Materials should be submitted using the Hack-SMC Devpost page
$14,308 in prizes
First round top prizes
In addition to the cash prize of $1,500, winning teams will have the chance to compete in the Apps Challenge in September, 2016.
Teams that win the honorable mention prizes will receive $250 and bragging rights.
Best App Built with Kinetise
The teams that use Kinetise to develop their app will be eligible to win Kinetise App Publishing licenses. Each license is worth $1,186. Find out more about Kinetise at https://www.kinetise.com/.
Esri Technology Prize
Wolfram Alpha Prize
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
Please register on Eventbrite. Use the Promo Code SAVE5 to save $5 off your ticket price. Ticket sales end at 11:59pm on May 18 or when we reach venue capacity. Space is limited!
- Discounted tickets are available for Youth/Students/Seniors/Military.
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Event T-shirt are included in the ticket price.
- We also have some amazing door prizes to give away. The first 100 participants to register will receive a $49 Amazon Web Services credit. All participants will receive membership in Microsoft's BizSpark program with includes 3 years of free Microsoft Office Software, $750/month Azure credits, and more!
No tax dollars are used for this event. Hack-SMC is made possible by our generous sponsors.
Data sources include
San Mateo County San Mateo County open data portal
San Mateo County Esri open data site
President, San Mateo County Board of Supervisors
OpenSMC Brigade Captain, Planner, City of Redwood City
GIS Analyst, San Mateo County
Communications Specialist, Health System, San Mateo County
Co-founder and Director, Strategic Accounts, OpenGov
Assistant Agency Director, Human Services Agency, San Mateo County
Developer Support Analyst - ArcGIS SDK Team, Esri
Director, Office of Sustainability, San Mateo County
Use or create a dataset
Use a dataset from the County's open data portal: https://data.smcgov.org/browse, from the County's maps and spatial data portal: http://hacksmc.smcmaps.opendata.arcgis.com/ or create a dataset
The solution is original or approaches the stated problem in a new way
The technology used to create the solution is logical, workable, and maintainable.
Value to the public and County
The solution meets a stated challenge on the Hack SMC site: http://hack-smc.org/app-ideas/ or is of value to the public and the County
Opt-in prizes require solution to utilize one or more of the following platforms: ArcGIS.com or APIs (Esri), Kinetise, or Wolfram Alpha. Participants must opt-in to these prizes when submitting their team information.